Saturday, September 7, 2013

Field Based Training

I'm home again in San Antonio after another PC immersion excursion! Field Based Training is a lot like Immersion Days, except this time we had to speak Spanish the whole time and implement organizational and business development tools. Exciting! 

I had a great time at FBT in Buenos Aires, near Metapan in Santa Ana (if you were wondering). Cesar, our PCV, is what we like to call a SSV (super star volunteer). He had so many activities going on and set us up with community groups. Here's an overview of what we did: 

More mountains. 

The Peace Corps Stare: staring with possible interest, occasionally nodding. Best when used during 2.5 hour long ADESCO meetings and FODAs. 

Cesar, Catherine, me and Luke working on a FODA (Spanish for SWOT analysis) with the local ADESCO (organization that works to develop the community and lobbies the mayor). 

Leading a self esteem charla with the kiddies. 

Someone take a picture, I'm being nice to kids!

Our self portraits. 

Josue, my host family's neighbor, gave me his drawing. 

And a human knot. I'm getting so sick of doing these. Does anyone have hand sanitizer? 

With the older kids we made "personal flags" that represent us. Here's us sharing our flags. 

Aren't we cute. 

Angelica, my Spanish teacher. She's amazing! She came to FBT to evaluate our Spanish and be our mom. I mean older sister. I mean, slightly older sister!

We don't have big trees like this in MY campo! 

View from my host family's house. 

We also met with a women's group that makes cakes. 
That paintbrush is for tres leche only, right? 

Frosting!

Finished product! It would normally sell for $12-15. 

Thank you! 

Angelica, I want some cake! 

We also met with a water cooperative, micro finance cooperative, English class, high school boys applying for jobs, and the Alcaldia (mayors office) health promoter. Cesar worked us like dogs! But I was happy to finally put into practice some of the COED framework we're always talking about. 

I officially have 4 more weeks until I swear in. I'm nervous and incredibly excited! 























No comments: