Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Where are my earplugs?!

Monday, August 19, 9pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again- Salvadorans are tone deaf. The dogs howl in the streets whenever they sing. Maybe the dogs think they can sing better than the humans, or maybe they just want to cover up the terrible screeching sound coming from their mouths. I listen to the dogs, then I listen to the people, and I think it's a little of both.

I've stopped going to church because it's in a dangerous area. It only took 3 weeks for someone to finally tell me about all the bad things that happen on this isolated stretch of road leading to the church.  Thanks guys, 'bout time! One good thing about missing church is that I don't have to suffer through the church choir's pain inducing rendition of gospel hymns. Nails on a chalk board ain't got nothing on the three women who simultaneously scream a wrong note into the mic at my church. It's what harmony must sound like in hell. 

You think I'm exaggerating? Check out my host dad. I was just doing my homework at the table, quietly minding my own business, when a wild Salvadoran with a red guitar appeared! I had to take a video so you know what I'm talking about:



In his defense, the guitar is incredibly out of tune. Maybe that's what I can do- import guitar tuners!

But if that fails there's always earplugs. 

1 comment:

Karyn said...

Hahaha priceless....he could easily get a gig in the states