Monday, August 5, 2013

A quick update


Sunday August 4, 2013

I bought one of those electric fly swatters yesterday. My host brother has it permanently attached to his hand, like old men here have their machetes. Must be a man thing. I don’t care, I just want all the bugs killed.
I washed my clothes today. My hands are raw. The way my host mom taught me to wash clothes is rough. Lots of scrubbing on the concrete. It hurts. It’s so hard to get all the soap out too. That’s why my clothes are always so crusty…

I took a big risk today- I wore a tank top outside my room. Oooooo, scandalous! Apparently, showing your shoulders is unladylike. I think that pertains more to Morazan, the department where I’ll be serving, because they’re more reserved there. Anyways, no one tried to kidnap me but of course there were apropios (catcalls). I’m used to them, but I still hate them. But if you’re not catcalled in this country it means you’re “objectively ugly.” This is why girls don’t mind being yelled at from passing cars. I don’t get it.

We’re eating lunch soon and going to church. I can’t believe a weeks already gone by. 

No comments: