Thursday, August 15, 2013

I'd cry if I wasn't so tired

Peace Corps has a funny way of making me cry. I cried during a health session when the doctor was describing a clean, white porcelain toilet. I really miss toilets. I cried when I heard Phil Collins. I don't miss 80's music, but I miss my mom. I also cried when I was telling my new friends about my favorite bar. I really miss going out. 

Yesterday I found out that my recent stomach issues are the result of an acute intestinal infection. Well, that made me cry too. I'm not in extreme pain, I'm just tired. But getting sick- really sick, not just a cold- is making this whole Peace Corps thing real. 

I called my family last night and they were celebrating my cousin/best friend's birthday. They were eating cheesecake. Cheeeeeeesecake. The king of all cakes. I would have cried myself to sleep if I wasn't so exhausted. 

I question if I can do this all the time. The ups and downs come every minute, every hour, every day. 

Today I got my first wave of letters, and it felt amazing. Thank you mom, dad, Tate, grandma and Ben! Eventhough the Internet is faster it still feels good to hold a letter. 

I'll keep you updated on my intestines! I'm surviving and getting better! 

My letters!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hope you feel better soon! There are all kinds of tears - tears of joy, sadness, pain, etc, and they all have their purpose. Tears because you miss your family and home mean LOVE. You are blessed with a family that YOU love and that loves YOU back! These are the best kind of tears to be able to have; they are a gift. These are the same tears that your mother sheds each time she talks to you. These tears do not make you weaker; they make you stronger!

Karyn said...

I know I say this on just about everyone of your posts, but I really am proud of you. Just like the day we were at Panera and I spilled me heart and thoughts about the Peace Corp. to you, that was all very real. There is absolutely nothing wrong with crying, you've been gone for an entire month in a foreign country with people you've only just met. But try and not dwell on the physicalities, Al. Think about all the wonderful people you have met so far in just a short amount of time and the i pact youve made on the community so far! EVERYTHING will be here when you get back, your family, your family traditions...yes even Brewhas. Just try and remember that as your intestines heal and you lay in your bed at night.