Monday, August 5, 2013

Sweet dreams are made of these


8pm Sunday, August 04, 2013

I really can’t make up the stories I have of El Salvador. Like today, when I was riding in the truck bed with about 9 other people and the guy who plays bass had “Imagine” by John Lennon playing on his cell phone. I bet Lennon would’ve been proud, and maybe a little confused. It was pretty surreal to be ducking trees and stumbling with every hole in the ground. I swear, Salvos must be great surfers because they can stay standing in a truck bed with no effort at all. Meanwhile the gringa’s flopping around….

Or tonight when I watched 2 hours of Michael Jackson’s History. Have you SEEN his 12 minute long music videos?! Is this what I’ve been missing all my life!? I kept saying “No me digas” the whole time. My host family couldn’t believe I’ve never seen all his videos before. Don’t all Americans like Michael Jackson? Heee hee!

And then when we were eating dinner and I thought a hummingbird got lost and slammed itself into the wall. “Awww pobre ave!” But no. It was not a hummingbird. It was a bug the size of a hummingbird. I started screaming and I ran into my room. From now on I keep my hood on and laced tight during dinner.

Even later, when a terrible storm hit us. It usually rains at night, so I wasn’t fazed when it started pouring. Howeeeever, I started freaking out when trees started falling and part of the roof flew off. I tried texting my other San Antonioites to see if they were ok, but of course I don’t get cell service in my house. I hung out with my sister in her room until the storm passed. I told her that I sleep talk and sometimes I sleep walk.

And theeeennn that made me think about camping with my family. Every year we go camping in Door County, Wisconsin. My fam called yesterday on their drive north without me. I haven’t always loved the 2 week long excursion (i.e. 2 weeks without the internet or cell service is impossible when you’re a teen), but now I can’t believe I’m not with them. I’m going to miss my favorite ice cream joint, and the beach, and going out on the pontoon boat. I’ve gone every year since I was a baby! And now I’m writing a blog post under the protection of my mosquito net. A blog post that I have no idea when will be posted because my internet situation is a freaking joke. I wish I could teleport to Door right now. I’m pretty much camping anyways…

Oh yeah, sleep talking. So sometimes I sleep talk- or even creepier, sleep whisper- when I camp with my family. I guess it freaks them out.

It’s crazy how fast things change. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Door County misses you too!

Ps.. remember when you thought it was "Sweet dreams are made of beans"???

I can't begin to tell you how much I miss you, but I absolutely LOVE reading about your adventures. This sounds like such a beautiful way to experience something new, mostly because it is so different.

Love you.