Friday, August 9, 2013

When in the house of wifi, write a post

This week has been crazy busy. I can't even begin to go over everything. One day when I have more time I'll have to write a post about going to the fair in San Salvador. Let's just say it was pretty intense.....

Kai, Maria and me have been doing bootcamp on Tuesdays and Zumba on Thursdays with the local mujeres jovenes (women 14-25). It's amazing. Even though we come home from class tired and smelly, we always dig deep and work out with the women. I can tell that they really appreciate the time to unwind and have fun. Young women in this country go to school or work and have a ton of responsibilities around the house helping their mothers. Of course, men don't do anything. (My host dad works 24 hour shifts and my host brother does yard work, so I let them slide.) It's just something we started because we wanted to work off all the tortillas and pupusas, but it's evolved into a standing date with the community.

Today we found out from our Spanish teacher that the SanAn group is a little famous in Peace Corps. Apparently we are the first training community to ever do community organizing without any prompting from the country staff. We're a hot commodity! I am so proud of us. It just got better as we walked around SanAn and women would come up to us and ask about Zumba, all the local tienda owners let us put up flyers, and one woman even said told us "finally, someone comes to San Antonio who is part of us." This was huge. My host dad was even telling me over breakfast how our group is the only PC group that has even spent time with the other young people in the community. I guess the  groups in years passed only hung out together.

All the positive feedback really picked us up. It is NOT easy being the only three living in el campo. Honestly, it sucks. Right now I'm at a fancy house with wifi and a flush toilet. The kitchen is inside and they have a sofa. This is pure luxury. I have a hard time controlling my envy when I visit places like this, knowing that other PCTs got the better deal.

But then I remid myself that I'm making a difference in my community. And that's (almost) worth all the flushes in the world. 

1 comment:

Karyn said...

Ale, I'm so proud of you :) I'm glad you and your PC friends are stepping out of your comfort zone and doing something extra with the community! This experience was obviously meant for you! Love you!