Thursday, August 29, 2013

Salvadorans sure know how to party

Sunday, August 25, 9pm

The past week has been very pro-PC. I had a great time at Immersion Days and tonight really brought it all home. Literally. After a four hour bus ride it felt great to be back en el campo. 

Tonight we celebrated Anne, a fellow PCT's, birthday. It without a doubt topped any childhood birthday party I've ever been to! I say childhood because it doesn't matter if you're turning four or twenty four- there will be games, there will be piñatas, and there will be cake. It's a far cry from tequila shots and shooting flaming arrows into the sky, but what crazy person would do that on their birthday....

Dance party with PCTs and our host siblings. Notice the pink elephant piñata.

Maria y yo in our party masks. 

Kai, Maria, Catherine, and birthday girl Anne.

Josephine did the Salvadoran smile, which is to not smile. These girls are adorable. They're annoying when you're trying to study, but they are gorgeous and more hilarious than they know. Still, I'm glad they live with the other PCT!

Josephine and Kenya- I should've taken a video because this picture doesn't do their body rolls and booty shaking justice. I guess growing up on Shakira = amazing dance moves. 

Me and Marcia, the PCT who lives with Josephine and Kenya. PCT Franko Suave in the back, probably laughing at the scene we made when "In Da Club" came on. 

After all the dancing and games we ate delicious chocolate and carmel cake. I thought the party was winding down, but nooooooo no no. Salvadorans have a special birthday tradition that is slightly horrifying and totally dangerous. As if smashing Anne's face in her cake wasn't enough, the local futbol team laid Anne across their arms and threw her entire body in the air twenty three times! I chose to watch this spectacle at a safe distance from inside the house, innocently enjoying my life with both feet firmly planted on the ground. And of course, some genius told the futbol team that it was MY birthday tomorrow and I'm turning TWENTY FOUR! 

******I will upload the video as soon as I have more Internet 


As some of you may know, I have a mild fear of being carried after the infamous piggy back incident of 2009 with my best friend Christi. Teeth were lost, people! Not my teeth, but still, it was traumatic. So for me, being thrown in the air twenty four times is the truly the stuff of malaria medicine nightmares. 

But I gotta admit, it made me pretty excited to ring in 24 years of life in this crazy, beautiful country. 





No comments: