Friday, November 1, 2013

Let's get personal

As a Peace Corps Volunteer I'm expected to work with lots of organizations, women's groups, cooperatives- you name it. But I'm starting to think personal relationships are going to shape my service as well. 

There's a woman who lives next door to me. I won't share her real name, so let's call her Ana. Ana lived in Virginia some years back where she gave birth to twin girls. One day while Ana was at work she got a call from her partner that one of the baby twins was in the hospital. She was charged with neglect, then before there was even a trial she got deported. The girls stayed in the US because they were born there, so by law they're American citizens. They were put in foster care and eventually adopted. 

The girls are almost 8 years old now. The last time Ana had contact with the adoptive parents was in 2009, after a PCV helped her communicate with the girls' case worker. The parents sent some pictures and a letter saying they don't feel comfortable being in contact, so could she please send letters to the Department of Family Services where they'll collect them in a file for the girls to read when they turn 18? Shouldn't be too much trouble. Thanks, have a nice life. 

Now, listen. I don't want to get into a debate on America's immigration policy. (Thought I will say it sucks and it's degrading.) But I just don't understand how it's ok to take children away from their mother, and leave her with no real way to tell them that she doesn't know why they were taken away but she still loves them very much. If there was a case against Ana I guess I'd see the "protective services" part, but she wasn't afforded due process. Just a pair of handcuffs and a plane ride south. 

She hasn't shared her story with another gringo since 2009, when the PCV helped her get some photos and that letter from the adoptive parents. Listening to her speak makes me feel angry and sad at the same time. I'm ashamed too, because I can't explain to her why the adoptive parents don't have to talk to her again or tell her how the girls are doing. She didn't ask me to get her kids back. She knows there are forces against her that are much stronger than a Peace Corps Volunteer can handle. She would like to send a letter. The girls only speak English, so I'd have to translate what she wants to say. Maybe we could give the caseworker a call, in case she lost Ana's number. 

I'm no lawyer, but I do speak impeccable English and I can surf the web like a pro. I don't know what I'll be able to do, but I'm going to do whatever it is I can to help this woman. 

No comments: