Thursday, November 7, 2013

Etiquette shmetiquette

Etiquette is weird here. I'm constantly thinking, "Oh no, was that bad?" But the Salvadorans always put me at ease. For example:

After swimming in the waterfalls, I'm soaking wet. I feel awkward getting the seats on the bus wet.
...Then a lady gets on with a dead chicken under her arm, and I figure wet seats aren't a big deal. 

I'm sweating like a pig, but I'm not sure if my tank top is appropriate for game night. 
...Then my host sister comes out in see-through lingerie, and Uno is significantly more awkward.

I'm really thirsty, but I'm not sure if I can drink in the church. Like, is that weird?
...Then a lady sits next to me and eats four pupusas, so a sip of water can't hurt. 

It's getting dark, so I have to leave. But I hate to eat and run on my community guide!
...Then the bolos start singing down the street, and I feel more justified in getting my butt home. Fast.

I have a horrible head cold and I really need to blow my nose. It's gonna be noisy and messy. 
...Then a man hocks a loogie next to me. At least my fluids are going in a tissue, ok!


I'm going to be such a mess when I head back to the US. 






No comments: