Thursday, November 7, 2013

Asamblea General

Yesterday I had my asamblea general. Every PCV has to invite the community to a meeting and present themselves, Peace Corps, and what they've learned about the community. It's kind of like a right of passage.

I really stressed that I'm here to work as a team with the community. Of course, I used a punny futbol reference to explain teamwork that included a part where I jump around and scream "Gooooooooooal!!!"

Nobody thought it was funny.

Overall, I think the asamblea went well. A decent amount of people showed up, and I had representatives from the police and the local branch of FundaciĆ³n Campo, an amazing micro-finance organization. My promotor de salud spoke and then the police talked about how they're working to keep the youth out of trouble.

The wild turnout

Soy de Chicago

Otinia and the promotor in the front row

I used visuals to explain my role as the PCV

I think they liked it!
Not pictured is my dear friend Maria. I never would have been able to pull off my asamblea without her! I've been sick with a cold all week, but she came out to help me even when I was hacking and snotting all over the place. She's a good friend!

No comments: