Saturday, January 17, 2015

Makin' moves

Back in the campo and back in action! I had an absolutely amazing time at home. I ate a bunch of my favorite foods (though now I'm thinking of things I missed and will haunt me until I go home again), and saw my favorite people. The best times I had were when people just acted like it was another normal December day with Alex. Not "Oooooh my GAWD we have such little time together and it will be ages before I see you again so let me just STARE at you." The later made me feel uncomfortable and even a little angry. I don't want to constantly be reminded that I'm just a visitor in my own home! Naturally, some of the people to commit this crime are the ones I love most dearly.

And a lot of people thought I was home for good. I guess time goes faster in the USA, because I met up with people who felt positive that I had been in El Salvador for at least 2 years already. (It's actually been 542 days, but who's counting?)

I needed the time to recharge my batteries in the US. I've had a lot of momentous setbacks and failed projects, and I basically went missing when I was writing my capstone. (Which, if you would like to read, can be found on the Stevenson Center for Community and Economic Development's Research webpage here.) I was feeling blah and very "over it" regarding service or work related activities. I'm kicking myself for that now, because some PCVs from my group just pulled off a very successful GLOW camp that has been months in the works. I wish I was feeling more motivated and got in on this great opportunity!

I came back feeling much more in the game for my last 9 months of service. Actually, right now it's kind of like 8 months. And it's really only about 5 months until I visit home again so.... this is it.

I guess time goes fast in El Salvador, too.

I'm already making big moves. I mean literally, I'm moving host families. I got back from vacation and was handed some unfortunate news along the lines of "move out." Although I was surprised, I wasn't very upset. I have a very unusual relationship with my host family. I've never been treated as a family member but I'm more than just a tenant. I have gross household chores that are way above my pay grade and they just do not care about my sleep schedule. I took this boot to the butt as an opportunity to move in with a family who welcomes, accepts, and supports me. The actual housing structure is, well, a major downgrade. But I don't care in the least bit. I've gotten to know my future host family over the past year and a half and I feel like I'll be so much happier under their roof.

Right now we're working to bring it up to PCES standards. I'm helping to build a door and hook up electricity, and do something about the bat problem. I'm also spending some good bonding time with my future family. Today is a birthday party and I'm bringing American candy to snack on.

I'm going to be sad to move. I've made this my home. I have pictures up on the walls and I know where the cell signal hits best on all areas of our property. I like chatting with my host dad and I really like our fancy house (indoor plumbing!). And Aysel. Don't even get me started, I might cry. I've been spending time just talking nonsense with her and knocking green mangos off our trees. I'm gonna miss my niƱita.

No comments: