Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Giving of the cheap plastic toys: Part II

This year was decidedly more fancy than last year. Some girls got Frozen princess dolls and there were minutos (shaved ice and red syrup), soda, AND cookies. The mayor also made sure to give out aprons to the moms in the crowd with his political party and name stamped on the front. Oh, and he gave a stump speech letting us know that he grew up dirt poor, too. (Just like all of you!). Oi, when are these elections over?

I wouldn't be so bitter if he didn't scoop me and a crippled boy for a photo op. I actually know this child well and I wonder if he ever gets tired of politicians asking to take a picture with him.

My neighbor who loves screaming my name when I walk by. Very docile in this pic.

The boy's line.

Much campaigning. But this is actually much more organized than last year. 

My bichos. Aysel didn't like the doll they gave her so she got a car too! Don't let the bow fool you- she's a total tomboy. 
I've also realized juuuuust how long I've been here. For example, I know women who have conceived, carried, and gave birth. Their babies are adorable. And it felt good to talk with all the moms and kids I knew in the crowd. Last year I kind of awkwardly gave out the toys. Sometimes I feel like I'm trapped here for-ev-er, but then I realize I won't even be here for the annual giving of the crappy plastic toys next year. It's the beginning of the end :(

No comments: