Sunday, December 14, 2014

The end of a long year

I don't think I have ever been more anxious for anything in my life than to go home IN 8 DAYS. It's all I think about and all I really have to talk about. It's what keeps me calm and collected when the boys are screaming for no other reason than to make more noise and my host mom tells me off for not washing my curtain for a whole year (gasp!). Which means it's absolutely ridiculous that I'm a little sad I won't get to immediately cross off the final month of 2014 on my self-motivation poster.

I thought the stickers were fitting. I'm big on self-motivation if you can't tell. 
It's been a long year, my innumerable band of devoted followers. I know I may have a tendency to, well, complain a bit here on my blog. I'm sure if you search my blog for booming religious ranchera music (that's actually playing as I type this), inhumane heat, and dastardly failed projects... you would get many a hits. There are lots of times I come here to write something out just so I can stop obsessing over it. I do try to portray both sides of the story, but at the end of the day this is my place to share my particular experience. I even have a disclosure statement that says so! Crossing off the months has always put to rest the troubles of the previous month and given me a fresh start for the next. PC is a marathon, not a sprint. There is way too much time to focus on the bad stuff if you don't mentally exfoliate every month. Shoot, mentally exfoliate every day! Now that I'm at the end of 2014, I can look back and remember the good times a lot quicker than the bad.

And there have been many good times, too. There's a lot of good stuff that doesn't make the blog. Like, yesterday Aysel was walking around with some leaves in a giant basket on her head screaming "Fresco! Fresco for sale!" like a street vendor. She's so darn cute and I love her imagination. And there's also the times when these two girls next door call me "Ale Bonita" when I walk by. They're right- I am beautiful. And I always get a kick out of embarrassing Ana at the pupusaria. That poor angsty girl.

I've been thinking about a New Years resolution for 2015 but I haven't thought of anything that sticks. I remember what I wrote on New Years day 2014 and little did I know but that resolution was the most important thing I could have done. Sticking through the hard times, the times that sometimes overshadow the good that happens, has resulted in such a beautiful experience.

So, I won't cross off the last month of 2014 on the 31st. I'll be poppin' champagne on a boat!!! No, just kidding. My bed time is 9pm now, I don't even know if I'll make it to midnight. I will, however, do some mental exfoliation when I'm at home. After all, 2015 is sure to be a big year, too.

No comments: