Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Two down, one to go

Yesterday I celebrated my second birthday in El Salvador. It hit me like a lightning bolt that this means I've surely been in-country one whole year. This next year, leading up to my third and final birthday in El Salvador, is sure to go fast. And because the birthday party I threw myself went so well, I already have a group of eager children excited to celebrate 26 with me! How many 20somethings can say that?

David can shimmy himself up anything. Here he's getting the piñata ready. 

Angelito with the creepy Mickey piñata. 

The cool kids table.

This kid sang to me and I had to dance awkwardly in front of the crowd. 

Birthday girl gets first attack. 

Shortly after this they took the bat away. 

Aysel always talks about hitting the Mikey piñata. I made her dream come true by choosing Mikey over the knock off Little Mermaid. 

Everyone freaking out! I put bubbles, glow sticks and hair clips in with your typical dulces. 

Translates to: Congratulations Alex on your 25 years. 

They want me to take a picture like I'm about to bite the cake.....

Which always results with your face pushed in the cake. 

No one was allowed to each until they sang to me. There were like 20 kids here, no joke. 

Traditional cutting of the cake pic. 

Aysel eating cake. The other girls were SO jealous of Aysel's photo shoot. I can't help it if she's my favorite! 

Some of the other kids with the bubbles. 

For my birthday I got a flower (from Aysel my favorite), an anona from my host mom, soup from Otinia, and sexy underwear from a young boy. 

I was not joking. 

Apparently, this is also a typical gift.

I accepted them with grace. 

And because every salvadoran is camera crazy and takes 10982309842 of the same picture, I always ask jokingly for cinco mas


Thank you to everyone who wished me a happy birthday. It was a great day! I think it's hilarious that some of my friends don't believe that yes indeed, I spent my last birthday in El Salvador too. Remember my karaoke and pizza filled night?

It's funny how some cake and a piñata are plenty fun for me now. I have so many new and interesting friends, and that's what made my quarter life birthday memorable.

No comments: