Sunday, December 7, 2014

Keeping busy (or not)

I'm totally checked out right now. I would try to blog more about my daily life, but my daily life is pretty boring. I'm just trying to keep myself occupied until I go on vacation. Literally, what do I have to tell my vast population of devoted followers?

I've been super in to making homemade gourmet popcorn. Well, it's not really gourmet. I tried making a lemon zest popcorn but it was so bitter, even he dogs wouldn't eat it. I just like popping the corn!

I decorated my mosquito net with tinsel and ornaments. My host family, like many Evangelicals here, doesn't celebrate Christmas. No tree, no music, no presents. And that's completely OK. Sometimes I think how interesting it would have been to serve in a Muslim country or a country with a strong indigenous population. I've learned a lot about El Salvador, and now I can appreciate the differences a little more. Even though it was on the depressing side, I'm really happy I experienced Christmas here last year. However.... I have a X-mas playlist on Spotify that I refuse to turn down and I will put tinsel on my mosquito net BECAUSE IT'S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR, DAMMIT!

I'll be hoooome for Christmaaaas
Aysel helped with the ornaments. So cute!
I spend a lot of time reading and listening to podcasts in the hammock on our porch. I helped move around the fijoles that we dried out for storage through the terrible, obnoxious, million degree summer coming up. Better believe I'm personally preparing myself for summer. I have a shopping list of "loose fitting comfortable" clothes that I can sweat profusely in. I hope Chicago in winter will understand my needs.

This is my view. Canello sometimes chills by the pila.
I attended a graduation for a bunch of workshops that happened in the pueblo. I feel like my pueblo's got a lot going on, but it never makes it's way out to the rural areas where my community is. I might try spending more time there next year. I have some goals for my last 9 months, and I'm sure I'll need some help from the pueblo people. Leo, my art class guy, invited me to the graduation.

There was a painting, anil, and cosmetology workshop. 
Anil is natural tie-dye. I made a shirt like this when I was in training. 

Art class is going strong. Class size is manageable, but I'm struggling with the lazy male child syndrome. I can describe this pervasive phenomenon as a male child, probably around 10 years old, who when given a simple task, stares blankly or causes a ruckus until his mother/aunt/sister/grandmother swoops in and does the work for him. My mouth literally hit the floor when the three boys from my household skipped out on the task of drawing a straight line (with the help of a ruler) when their aunt did it for them during art class. I still get frustrated when I see this because I see a million things happening: the woman is losing her own time in art class, the boys aren't learning, once again a female is taking on simple work that a male refuses to do, the boys have no grit or resiliency and those are important buzzwords! I get frustrated for maybe 5 minutes then I have to move on. If there's one thing I've learned throughout my, ahem, 18 months here it's that you can't overthink or fixate when people do something "wrong."

This week I'm heading to an inauguration for Cuidad Mujer, the organization that provided the sewing workshop for women in my community. They're sending a private bus out to pick us up, so I think they really want to make this inauguration a big deal. I have no idea what the inauguration is for, but I'm going to hang out with my friends and hopefully snag some refrigerio. Wish I had a "I just came for the refrigerio" t-shirt. That needs to exist.

No comments: