Tuesday, October 15, 2013

My new/other host family

I had made the request during my site placement survey to live with an intergenerational family. I like the idea of having the wisdom of grandparents and the spunk of young kids in the same house. Luckily, I got what I asked for.

I’ll tell you about my host family as if I inserted myself into the family as a daughter.

My host parents are old. They’ve got to be in their 70’s. They have a bunch of kids, but I think most of them live in the US. My host dad recently broke his foot, so he’s either hobbling around in a boot or riding the family horse. My host mom is very traditional and evangelical. All the evangelicals that PCTs lived with in Nuevo Cuscatlán were a little on the crazy side, always trying to convert them or damn them depending on their mood. I was nervous at first when I met my host parents, but they seem down to earth. Either way I’m going to do my best to avoid the 4 hour long masses. They live in an adobe house about 15 ft away from the fancy remeza house I live in.

My sister-in-law and her 2 year old daughter live with them. She’s young, I don’t think she’s more than 17 or 20. But I’m horrible at guessing ages here so who knows. She’s always cleaning or cooking and rarely leaves the home, so I’d describe her as traditional. She’s sweet though and I think we’ll be friends. Her daughter is gorgeous with the biggest caramel brown eyes you ever did see, but she’s always falling off of chairs and slamming her head on the concrete floor. I want to put her in a bubble.

My house is equivalent of the kids table. My host sister is in her late-twenties, and her son is in fourth grade. He’s hilarious. I have no idea what he says because he speaks really fast and slurs his words together, but I’m glad he likes me. Also in the house is my 15 year old nephew. His mom lives in the US. I don’t know when he saw her last. He’s graduating from the 9th grade AND turning 16 next week. He’s a good kid and he taught me how to play dominoes. My other host sister in her mid-twenties studies at the university in San Miguel during the week and comes home on the weekends. She wears teal eyeliner and pencil skirts around the house. I never know what she’s saying either, but we get along.

It’s like living with roommates! Except one of my roommates has a kid. But he’s cool, so it works out.

I really like my house and my family. I get full rein of the kitchen because my sister usually eats with her parents. And get this- I have a toilet and shower and sink. Water runs in the house! My bedroom window opens up to the outside. Today we’re getting doors installed on my room and the bathroom, so it’ll be even better. I’m going to the big city on Tuesday to buy a bed and dresser. Overall it’s a pretty good set up. I think I’m going to be really happy here.

Home sweet home!

No comments: