Wednesday, October 16, 2013

I seen some things

***Don't read this if you're squeemish. Like, for real. Just don't.

I saw the grossest thing of my life today. Well you see, there's a man in my canton who has cancer in his leg so the ADESCO is raffling off a baby cow to raise money for a prosthetic. Me and a young female member of the directiva (those are rare in ADESCOs)  went house to house selling the tickets. It was a great way for me to get to know people and whatnot.

So I'm feeling pretty happy that I'm out of the house and doing some good in the community. We stopped at her friend's house first. She was supposed to walk with us but her brother's wife had to go into town and what had happened was... Yeah, she wasn't coming. My counterpart cold called some local organizations to ask for donations and I waited outside.

The old man of the family came in from the fields, sat down in the hammock and asked for his breakfast. I tried talking to him, but he wasn't interested in the sweaty ginga. So I just sat quietly and looked around the place. They have chickens, dogs, a cat, and a turkey. A turkey! Have you ever seen a live turkey's face up close? They are so ugly! It gobbled at me and I got scared. I mean, it looked like Freddy Krueger.

There were three puppies, all different ages. The youngest was a scrappy little thing with fur missing. It was skinny and looked like it had fleas, so I kept stomping at him to make him go away. I'm reading the letter the hospital wrote about the young man's cancer and how expensive the prosthetic is, and I hear little vomit noises coming from the floor.

I look down and the youngest puppy had thrown up, maybe about 5 feet from me. I was digusted, of course, because it's gross. But then I noticed the long white worms wriggling around in the poop brown vomit. They were really long worms, like from the tip of your middle finger to the base of your palm. And they were actively wriggling around on the dirt.

Then the puppy ate his worm vomit.

At this point I have the watery mouth signal that I'm going to throw up too, so I grab my backpack and head outside to the street. After a while my counterpart called me back in. The old man told his daughter that the dog threw up, so she should clean the floor. The 2 year old girl who has been sitting next to me THE WHOLE TIME is still drawing on last year's calendar, like it's totally cool that the puppy has worms. She'll probably play with the puppy later today.

I feel sick just writing this. Oi. But I tell you hwhat- I am going to wash all my fruit and vegetables 10 more times tonight.

No comments: