Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Let’s take a walk

In Spanish the verb “caminar” translates to “to walk.” So when my host sister told me that the local school in San Lucas was going to “caminar” for International Physical Education Day (because apparently that exists),  I was willing to participate. I figured it’d be a good way to introduce myself to the youth and school teachers. I put on some yoga pants, a dry fit shirt and my tennis shoes. I asked my host sister if this was appropriate to wear, primarily because I didn’t know if my bubble butt was too provocative in the stretchy pants. “Sure,” she said. “You can caminar in that,” she said…

This is how I found out the hard way that “caminar” is the Spanish verb to describe all kinds of walking, including the kind of walking you do at a 60º incline up a mountain. If I knew we were climbing a mountain I would’ve worn my mountain climbing boots! Because I have those.


I was right though. Climbing the mountains (two, we climbed two mountains) was a great way to bond with the school’s staff and prove that this gringa is adventurous!

I asked this kid to take my picture by the stream and he looked at me like, hunny you have no idea what you got yourself into. 

The school's director, Alex, helping me get to the waterfall without cracking my head open. 

I was so excited I opened my mouth to laugh. I'm pretty sure that water hasn't been boiled for 3 minutes... 

They asked me to be an ad for El Salvador. Bienvenidos!!

Really though, it was beautiful. 

Look at these billy goats. Most of them were on their cell phones while they were walking. Meanwhile, I'm about to pass out. 

My host sister and the gym teacher. Sorry Kar, I mean PE teacher. 

I'm definitely "walking" here again. 

Me and my host sister. 

The water that runs in my house is from this waterfall. Now I call that mountain fresh! Har har har. 

Top of cerro San Lucas. Cerro means hill in spanish, but it's the biggest hill I've ever seen. 

There's a flag at the top. We did it!

This is not a photoshop. I don't even know how to do the photoshop. 

A picture for my dad, because he hates heights! 

1 comment:

Karyn said...

Hahaha I appreciate the correction ;)