Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Back in action

A full week has passed since I moved to my site. It’s 8:30am on Saturday, October 12, 2013, but it might as well be noon because everyone in my house has been up since 5am. And that’s “sleeping in” around here…

I have 8oz of painstakingly brewed organic coffee from the mountains of Morazán, my home department. I bought it on a whim at the super because homegrown coffee is a rarity here. Turns out Salvadoran coffee is very bitter, but after months of drinking that instant crap I wouldn’t remember what real coffee tastes like.
I had no idea drip coffee takes so long to make…

Coffee, check. Booming Evangelical Jesus-y music, check. Host mom making tortillas in the kitchen, check. Looks like I’m ready to write a few detailed blog posts about how I got to be here.

After the swearing-in ceremony on Thursday, October 3 we were whisked away to a hotel in San Miguel for one last night together before our community guides came to take us away. I mean, move us to our new homes. We ate delicious nachos and danced to catchy gangsta rap. It was a good time.

Waking up Friday morning was rough for more than one reason. Everyone was nervous to meet their future guides. Bags packed and tummies turning, we waited.

My two community guides couldn’t be more different. One is an older woman with bite and charisma. She’s sweet and matronly, but isn’t afraid to speak up. The other is forceful and sarcastic, obviously accustomed to getting things done. I’m definitely going to have a hard time balancing the two.

My "host mom" also came to the hotel for training on “How to live with a grino.” I’ve since found out that she’s 26 years old, so I now call her my host sister. She's awesome, and she let's me do my own thing.

Freddy the Alcalde of Osicala picked us up. He speaks decent English, so we talked about my life in the US during the drive. He drove me straight to my door, which is pretty difficult considering the road is made out of boulders. We unpacked my thousand pound suitcases (no weight limit, yey!) and ate cake with the 20 family members who received me. I don’t remember most of their names, but they’re nice. The welcome was genuine and warm.

Later that night we went to the quinceñera (called ‘fiesta de rosa’ here) for the ADESCO president’s daughter. There was a live band, and the MC presented me to the party. I was doing a pretty good job of meeting people and smiling when the birthday girl brought me out on the dance floor. I danced awkwardly, being extra careful to avoid the 15 year old boys swinging their hips my way. I wished the birthday girl good health and presents, then told my community guide we should hightail it outta there.


That’s how I started my life as a Peace Corps Volunteer. 

No comments: