Tuesday, October 15, 2013

It’s a small world after all

The other night I had a visit from Saul, a young man who applied for a scholarship to study in the US with the help of the last PCV. When I met him, Saul had a Green Bay Packer’s polo on. I let the fact that its cheesehead paraphernalia slide because he was so totally Mid-Western!  Turns out he studied in Wisconsin for two years. He went to the US with zero English but now he speaks fluently. I hope the same thing happens with my Spanish!

Saul told me some funny stories about fitting in to American culture. He’s been to Chicago. Of course he took pictures at the bean!

I asked him if he ever went to Door County and he was all like, “You know about Door County!?” To which I replied, “No, YOU know about Door County!?” He went in fall with his host mom and ate at Al Johnson’s with the cabras on the roof. It was so surreal to talk about the lake and state park with him. It’s both of our favorite places on earth.

Saul studied business in the US and is back in El Salvador working at a hotel in northern Morazán. Actually, he works at the Peace Corps approved hotel in northern Morazán so you know it’s gotta be the nicest hotel in town.


His American host mom is visiting in March and I can’t wait to meet her. It’s crazy to think how small the world really is!

No comments: