Sunday, March 29, 2015

Woo Leo!

Yesterday I went to an inauguration for a new tourism store in the pueblo that will sell local artisan's work. Of course my highly esteemed counterpart, Leo, had a huge presence in the store. He also teaches groups of women and youth how to make handicrafts and lamps out of henequin, a fiber stripped from maguey plants (aka agave) that is plentiful where I live. Actually, Osicala is the maguey capital of the country. Betcha didn't know that!

I'm very proud of Leo. He was a great counterpart during the art classes. I'm happy that the pueblo and more organizations are noticing him and including him in projects.

A bunch of different government and NGOs showed up for the inauguration. I mainly showed up to support Leo and Dana, another PCV who helped with the store. Oh, and I assumed there would be refrigerio.

They're still working out some details like who's going to work in the store, and how the artist will get paid. But as soon as that's figured out, I'm sure it'll be great for economic development. The store is beautiful, Leo's work is amazing, and it was a fun day.

Leo talking about his work. 

A slew of organizations.

Cutting the ribbon. 

Dana and Leo, def getting photobombed by Lucio.

Me and Mayra with our pieces of ribbon. How cool?

No comments: