Sunday, March 29, 2015

"You're all safe here"

Tell me something you know about El Salvador.

I bet many of you were thinking about child immigration or gang violence, and well, you wouldn't be wrong. The two are tied together- kids leave because it's not safe, young gang members are deported from the US, thus making it not safe. It's like a wheel.

This week we had another incident in my community and it'll probably never be solved or understood. The gossip was rampant, but now it's dying down. I'm hearing more of "Asi es la vida" than frivolous chambre.

This week we also celebrated inter-murals with the school. They don't have P.E. class, so they only get one week out of the year to play together outside. We make a big deal out of it. There's a parade with madrinas and posters, and some students have uniforms. It's supposed to be fun and unify the school.

Madrina Marilu with the 6th grade boys team.

My 9th grade girls.

3rd grade boys reppin Baca.
We walked up the highway that runs through my community. 

Talking with the students. 

When we made it to the cancha, the teachers explained to the kids that they are safe here. It was such a weird juxtaposition- these little kids with their posters and the dark cloud of violence hanging over them.

These pictures show a sea of faces, but they're individuals to me. I know these kids and I feel invested in their future. I don't want to say "Asi es la vida" because they deserve more than that. They deserve true safety and support.

I wish I knew how to make that happen.

Show me your team!
 Here's something I bet you didn't know about El Salvador: the people are more resilient than you can could ever imagine. Try to remember that when the statistics and dark clouds obscure your perception.

My two little neighbors who were madrinas eating their panes. 

Check out last year's inter-murals here.

No comments: