Sunday, January 12, 2014

Aysel leans English

Today I had a preview English class with my host sisters, niece Aysel and nephew Edwin. We learned greetings like "Hello" and "Good  afternoon." We tried carrying simple conversions like this-

Hello.
Good morning. 
What is your name?
My name is Alex. 
How are you?
I am good. 

They loved it. Some people think English is hard to learn because we write differently from how we talk. But think about this- English has three tenses TOPS, no genero, and no subject-noun agreements. I mean, it does, but not in the same way Spanish expresses itself. So in a way, understanding English is pretty simple. Pronouncing English words is a whole 'nother story.

I actually enjoy teaching English, even though it's not my work area as a Community Organization and Economic Development Volunteer. We can teach English as a "secondary project," and many PCVs do because everywhere you go, everyone will ask you when you're going to teach English. With half of El Salvador's population living in the US and there being all the "good jobs" in call centers requiring English proficiency, it's pretty much given that you will be teaching English.

I didn't think I'd like teaching English, but I do. I'm a visual teacher so I use a lot of colors and grouping. My loud, clear presentation voice also comes in handy. I'll probably start offering classes to the public when the kids go back to school on January 20th. Looks like I have some lessons plans to write!


No comments: