Thursday, July 17, 2014

Ch-ch-ch-changes!

It's been a BIG WEEK for Peace Corps! Remember way back when Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet came to El Salvador and I cried all over her? She mentioned some big changes Peace Corps wanted to make. Perhaps the most revolutionary change we discussed was to give those applying the decision making power when it comes to where they are going to serve, when they leave, and what they'd be doing.

Whoa. Now, let me remind you, when I applied in 2012 I filled out the application (which took me weeks to finish) and hoped for a kind-hearted placement officer who would listen to my goals and strengths and match me to an ideal country that departed within a reasonable timeframe so I wouldn't feel like I was wasting away in the Chicago 'burbs. The whole process took about a year. I think my wish was granted, more or less. I'm doing community development and learning Spanish. But what if I had the opportunity to choose where and when? Would I have changed my mind on what I'd want to do when I saw all of the options available?

Now the process starts with a simple question: Where do you want to go? Then afterwards, What do you want to do? These two questions, so simple and yet so incredibly important, lead you to a list of opportunities complete with host country and departure dates.

They say the application takes about 1 hour to complete. Wooow.

I must admit that I'm jealous. I spent 5 minutes playing around with the new interactive application and I was hooked. I immediately started comparing different programs and looking into the cultures of host countries. I wanted to see how easy it was to narrow down what I'd be interested in. (Surprisingly, it was super easy. I am so jealous.)

But you do know what this means, right? Peace Corps just opened itself to the free market. Giving applicants the power to choose means you also give them the power to Google the hell out of where they're thinking about applying to. You're going to see all these new Peace Corps Host Country websites pop-up on the internet. Country Directors are going to have to find a way to prove that the country is safe, the staff is caring, PCVs are harmonious and happy, and the programs are rewarding. Will this prompt competition? Will this push staff to find the best host sites, provide the best training, be the most professional and helpful at all times? 

This might be something that the creators of Peace Corps Wiki had in mind. PC Wiki was your only information source back in the dark ages when you had no choice in nuthin'. Me and my Master's International cohort would check the Wiki page obsessively during our application process. It was all we had when dealing with the tight-lipped bureaucracy that is PC Washington (Maybe was? Have these sweeping changes also affected the bah humbugery of Headquarters staff?). I honestly got an email back from my placement officer that said "How am I supposed to work on your application or anyone else's if you are emailing me? Just be flexible and patient." Oh sorry, just thought I'd check up on my life-altering application since I hadn't gotten ANY PC contact for months. The creators of the PC Wiki page were all about submitting FOIA requests for country specific Early Termination rates. This is something that PC doesn't publicly put out, which is too bad. It gives you a lot of insight into how the country is being run and how the PCVs are feeling. 

Of course, ET rates aren't everything. The language complexity, culture, food, medical attention, climate, work success (or lack thereof), and so much more affect the well being of a PCV.  Just because you don't ET doesn't mean everything is absolutely perfect with your service. Trust me, I know what it's like to stare down the barrel at the one-year mark and seriously contemplate Early Termination. Last month I had said "Not talking about ETing just contributes to the sense of "false advertising" that trails the Peace Corps." I failed to elaborate which false advertising I was referring to. At the time I was thinking of the iconic gaggle of school children reading or playing with a gringo, all smiling, with copy saying something like "For dreamers who do."

Uh, like this one. 
It solicits that warm fuzzy feeling. It feels like the PCV is spiritually fulfilled and reassured that they are making a grand difference in the world and the Peace Corps is just swell. It worked on me. I have my good days, but I also have days where I'm down in the dumps. I often ask myself just what in the hell am I doing here? Those days aren't on the advertisements. 

Recently President Obama did a PSA for Peace Corps inviting Americans to apply. To be fair, he did say that "Life as a Peace Corps Volunteer isn't always easy." As revolutionary as the new application process may be, PC service won't change. Maybe the feeling of autonomy during the application process will carry over into the actual 27 month part and PCVs will feel like they're accomplishing some of the things Obama talks about in the PSA. 


Me being the PR spin doctor I am, I see the chance for PC host countries to put out their own kind of false advertising. Serve in the Dominican Republic, we have beaches! Serve in Mexico, we're close to home! I really hope it doesn't come to that. Maybe they'll put a greater emphasis on gritty, true life blogs (like this one). I try to give the best with the worst and keep the truth in mind. 

Yesterday we got a shipment of fresh COEDs. I don't know if any of them chose El Salvador, but I hope they are happy here either way. 

No comments: