Sunday, April 13, 2014

Bleh

I'm sick again for the second time in four weeks. This time it's a stomach infection. Very gross. I won't get into it.

I managed to pull off my first community-wide English class on Saturday. It went well. I hope to get a core group of very dedicated students. Maybe there will be more students next week, maybe not. I'm kinda sick of teaching English, so I honestly wouldn't mind if the whole thing just falls apart.

We're starting Semana Santa and the place is shutting down. No one wants to work during Semana Santa. They think it's crazy that most Americans have work and school this week. I have a meeting tomorrow with some women interested in starting a women's group, but other than that I'm wide open. Luckily, my community has a tendency to throw meetings at me, so I'm not that worried.

And if not, that's ok too. I have clothes to wash and seder with PCVs on Thursday. I'm actually super excited for seder. I feel too integrated into the Salvadoran culture now- nothings new or exciting. Spanish and tamales and hora salvadorena are pretty typical now. I find myself feeling "bleh" and I think a good seder will shake up this funk.

I'm going all in, full kosher on this seder. I'm even making these organic, homemade toasted coconut macaroons. (I add organic in there just because technically everything's organic that grows in my yard.) The internet tells me that macaroons are a good Passover desert because they don't use flour. They sound yummy to me.

I hate being sick. Sickness has a very poignant way of reminding me that I live in a developing nation. Oi ve.

No comments: