Monday, April 7, 2014

Extreme exfoliation

We'll go three or four days out of the week completely without water in my house. That doesn't mean "without clean drinking water." That means no water period. No liquid type substance to wash your clothes, bathe, cook, and clean with. It really becomes a problem for me because I can't seem to stay hydrated in the 100 degree heat. When there's no water, there's no water to chlorinate and drain through my filter. 

One thing is for damn sure- I will never take running water for granted again.

The saga continues with my relationship, or lack therefore, with water. Just yesterday, I was dripping sweat at the hour of 8am. I had some meetings to get to so I figured I should take a shower before the water dries up (without fail, the water will be dry by noon). I'm happy, because the water is running so I hop in without a care in the world. 

I get to soaping up when I notice that my soap feels gritty. I think that's weird but meh, weirder things happen. But then my arms and legs are covered in grit and I put two and two together that the grit is coming from the shower head. Of course it is. I turn the water off, but I'm covered head to toe with suds. 

I work out a system where I fill up a guacal, let the dirt/sand mixture sink to the bottom, then I splash the layer of brownish water from the top to rinse the soap off. The floor of the shower is completely covered in mud at this point. 

Finally, I'm as clean as I'm going to get. I asked my host dad what happened this time. There's always a new excuse reason for why we don't have water. Normally the culprit is the dry season and there just isn't enough water in the waterfall to supply all the houses. Sometimes it's more interesting. "They're building a house up the road so they cut the tube." Sure. "The tube burst." Ok. "A bolo cut the tube for fun." Seriously? 

I never got a straightforward response. 

No one will be more relieved for the wet season than me. I do rain dances all the time. I know there will be some point, probably around September, when I'm sick and tired of having rain every single day. But then I'll look back on this post, remember how much it truly SUCKS to not have access to water, and I'll get over it. 

No comments: