Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Mundo Aquatico

There's a little gem in my municipality called Mundo Aquatico. It's essentially a water park situated on top of a plateau in the mountains. The water has chip bags, grass, and other questionable things floating in it but it's also fairly chlorinated. Prices vary based on how nice a day it is, but adults are $3 and kids are $1.

As someone who grew up swimming for hours a day, teaching swim lessons and being a kick-ass lifeguard (I was awarded the title of Golden Guard, if any of you care to know), pools are pretty sacred places to me. I'm sad I didn't come to Mundo Aquatico more often during the dry season, but there's always next year. That is, if I can overcome the pool safety rules still ingrained in my memory.

I could list all the safety violations here, but that would be boring. Just know that I was in a constant state of panic. The pool I worked at in my hometown might have been strict- no running, flipping or eating in the pool there!- but we were consistently praised for our commitment to safety. I might be out of practice, but I have no doubt in my mind that I could make a save if I saw someone drowning. That's how good our training was!

My little sister is going to start working at the pool this summer. Her first job! I'm a little jealous, really. Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and be a teenager working at the pool again... But that sentiment doesn't usually last long and I thank god I've grown up!

I realized that I won't be home during summertime until 2016, and that's a bummer. Even though I'm sick of hot weather here, I really miss summer back at home, in Chicago and in Door County. Who knows how long the job search will take when I get back. Maybe I'll be blissfully unemployed and I can go sit by the pool in my hometown, watch the new guards enforce the rules, and try to embarrass my little sister ;)

My host sister chillin in the hammock.

There's also a restaurant that's pretty good. Here's the kids eating tortas. 

Yeah, they really don't care about this photo. 
Before the barrel tips... 

Wooooo!

No comments: