Friday, April 3, 2015

Modern roofing

This past week I did my third VRF (Volunteer Reporting Form... at least I think that's what it stands for). Every six months we're supposed to sum up what we've accomplished and how many lives are forever changed. Well, at least that's what it feels like. I spent a lot of time on this one and I tried to explain just how working with community partners has affected my time spent here. Yikes.

On the other hand though, this means I've spent 18 months in-site and I've been in-country a total of 618 days. Que fast. And what exactly do I have to show- work wise at least- on these VRFs? The insecurities are seeping in...

Some PCVs are the camp types. They love camps. I love that they love camps, but I think I'd go insane if I tried to do one myself. I'm more of the slow burn kind of volunteer- I'm always around doing something, even if the doing is glacially slow. Sometimes I wish I was a camp person so I could feel that whoosh of accomplishment, but alas, I am more campo than camp. Oh, but hey! It only took me 18 months to get these financial education classes going! Imagine what I could accomplish if I extended another year.

(Sorry, I have no plans of extending. I love my host family and my community, but I'm ready for the next chapter. The above statement is just to see if my mom still reads my blog posts.)

This week is Semana Santa so everyone from students to health promoters to executives in the capital have the week off. My whole host family is home together so we've spent it making tamales and watching beach soccer. Now, usually I hate watching soccer for obvious reasons (IT'S BORING). But I gotta tell you- I love beach soccer. It's shosrter than a normal game, the field is a sand pit, and the players can do cooler tricks with the balls in their bare feet. El Salvador is actually amazing at beach soccer, and there's an intense rivalry between the US and El Salvador. The biannual international competition is being hosted in El Salvador and I'm so proud of my host country! Plus, these players aren't so bad to look at.

We also took the time off to put lamina on my roof because it was raining on me during the few rainstorms we've had. I suggested putting up a tarp, but my host dad wouldn't have any of that. A simple hour long activity turned into an all day tare down. And I cannot lie- I was absolutely disgusted. Mounds and mounds of dust, 30 years of it to be exact, came raining down as my host dad removed the ceramic tiles. Mild surprise turned to horror as I realized that THIS was the culprit for my recent sinus infections. That stuff is in my lungs?!

My host dad balancing on the baras.

My host mom sweeping up for the third time. Seriously, think of this times three. 
Even though I had my stuff covered with the tarp I originally bought to put up on the ceiling, the dirt was everywhere and I had to wash everything. I stupidly left my shoes uncovered and they were literally filled with the stuff. There's nothing I hate more than washing my blanket by hand, and I nearly cried when I found dirt stuck in my loofa.

My host mom felt bad for me because I'm not used to "this kind of work." Ok lady, I'll bite. I'm not used to it! I hate it! I miss my appliances and modern roofing and clean bedsheets. Dear lord, what I would do for a new mattress and clean bedsheets.

On the bright side, there is much less dust and dirt falling from my ceiling and I believe I'm protected for the rainy season. I made my host dad mango popsickles this morning to say thanks. I may not be used to dust and back breaking work, but I appreciate when others are willing to help me out. Can I put that on my VRF?

No comments: