Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The very last day of my very last fair

I climbed the steep mountain road at 4am on Tuesday with a bit of a bounce in my step because, finally, it was the last day of the fair. I loved the fair! But I'm extremely exhausted. I want to sleep this off for the next month. I went to my last alborada, for maybe forever, with my host cousins and enjoyed the tamales and stars. I opted to not take a picture of myself this time, and snapped one of these kids playing checkers with beer caps instead. How aren't they tired?!

You kids are crazy. 
Because I DON'T have kids and I DON'T work in the milpa, I went back to sleep. People were trying to make me feel bad about my ample time, but puchica to that!

Last night we capped off the fair with the awesome cumbia band La Dinamita SalvadoreƱa that played in our cancha. I really liked them! They were very energetic and had some slick dance moves. I was feeling proud, content, and peaceful looking around at my community all together enjoying the music. As angry and frustrated as I've been here when things don't work out, I also really appreciate the good things. They seem so much better, too.

My host sis and mom eating elote loco. They're so funny!

Auxi and Karyme, two candidatas. 

Remember Marco!? He sang to the candidatas. 

Manuel and Xiomara, my new host parents. They're great!

Cati! I love her deadpan humor. 
 Finally around 11pm they announced the winner. Here's our new queen!

Bow down.

No comments: