Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Day 1

Here's one more exhausted post thanks to the hotel's most gracious free wifi. I've arrived in Washington DC where me and 15 of my fellow COED Invitees graduated to COED Trainees. This might seem like a small distinction on paper, but in reality it takes guts and perseverance to get to this point. We're a group of young, 20somethings who all share one important thing in common: we came here to succeed. No one is expecting sunshine and daisies for all 27 months, and I don't believe anyone entertains  delusions about saving the world. It's a good group. And they like beer. (Bonus points)

The only issues I've had so far is that my flight was delayed and one of my 50 lb suitcases is in transit from Chicago to DC. This is particularly troubling because we check out at THREE AM and that suitcase has my LIFE in it. I'm hoping it will get to the hotel by 1am so I get have some time to shower and pack for the first few days we stay at a hotel in San Salvador for even more Kool Aid drinking (my mom's joke, not mine.) 

I am safe and alive, though I am incredibly tired. I started the day off with a nice long cry, and many tears last night, made a scene at the airport.... You could say I'm all cried out. But then when I get the chance to call home and I hear my family's voices, I get teary all over again. 

Cross your fingers and toes I get my bag tonight and next time I post it'll be from El Salvador! 

No comments: