Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Help stop the violence

When I hear "violence prevention" I tend to think about the annoying, nasally man who passed out graphic anti-meat pamphlets on the quad saying "Help stop the violence."I will never forget this man's voice as he was a permanent fixture on my numerous campus tours. I don't remember what I ate for lunch yesterday, but I certainly remember this man's voice. Sheesh.

I never thought I'd actively work to prevent violence, but here I am in one of the most violent countries in the world (if you believe the US State Department). Isn't this a good place to start?

Sure it is!

My ADESCO is currently working on three projects that aim to prevent violence in the community, all of which I'm proud to be helping out. We're starting up a painting club for youth, a women's group to learn a trade, and building two lighted bus stop shelters in the busiest desvios. The idea is to keep the kids off the street, put the mothers in a better economic position, and chase the bolos away with light like the blood-sucking vampires they are.

Of course, no one said "Hey! Let's do some projects that prevent violence!"That would be too simple and organized. What really got my ADESO moving was a huge kick in the butt from the microfinance institution currently dangling a lump sum of money in front of their faces. I swear, I saw dollar signs in their tiny black pupils.

Now unfortunately, writing about my work activities on this blog has proved to be a sure fire kiss-of-death. Remember that women's savings group? I was asked to stop coming to the meetings. Or the #feria2014 we had in my site way back? The ADESCO absolutely fell to pieces after the reina was crowned. So I won't say anything too positive, too reassuring, or too concrete about these projects. Such is the work of a PCV.

But if these might work out? And they might prevent some of the violence in my community? Then I guess it would be alright with me.





No comments: