Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Independence month is over!

The month of September is officially over! Woo! This means no more independence day celebrations! I had a great time learning a little more about my host country, but sheesh, I'm glad to take a rest. (Figurative rest- I have a capstone to write, housing project to lead, and about $2,000 to deal out.) 

The last celebration was yesterday at the crowning of the Independence Day queen. There were candidatas from each grade. I think I bought votes for all of them, my favorite kids twice. I ate enchiladas, yuca, and cena typica. I also tried chicha, a fermented pineapple drink. It wasn't that bad! It's no whiskey, but I'll take it. I didn't want my host sisters to think I enjoyed the barely alcoholic beverage too much. I got a reputation to uphold here!

All the money from the votes (5 centavos cada voto), the food, and the dangerous elbow flinging flea market go to the school. Honestly, we need every cent. None of the teachers have been paid since the school year started in January because of the government turnover or something equally annoying. Kids are supposed to get some food every day too, but we haven't been getting the payments. I've already decided that when I leave, I'm going to throw a huge flea market with all my useless crap. I've bought so many organization containers and office supplies here. Someones gotta want that! People are already asking me what I'm going to do with my bed. Well folks, after I'm done SLEEPING IN IT I'll raffle it off to raise money for the school. I truly care about these kids and watching the Black Friday like bum rush is always worth a laugh.

Wendy representing the 4th grade.
One of my 9th graders selling me chicha. NBD.
Not bad! Kinda like... fizzy tart juice. 
Marjory reppin' the 7th grade.
Um... I danced to entertain the kids. It's always a crowd pleaser!
I got the candidatas involved to try and spread the fun, but they were so penosa
I did not venture inside the classroom with the flea market. I feared for my eye sockets. 


So serious! The candidatas in a row. 


No comments: