Sunday, September 21, 2014

Parades for days

I feel like I've been celebrating Independence Day for months! I've run with the torch, eaten plenty of plato tipicos, bought votes for like 7 different little reinas, and supported my students walking in the many, many parades we've had the past week. To my disappointment, you don't pick a shady curb to watch the parade pass by. In El Salvador we walk with the parade. So now I've got a great farmer's tan, and some even better pictures.

I have extra love for the marching bands. I tell everyone standing around me when the parades pass that I played the saxophone and was in the color guard. I really need to get my hands on some videos from my band nerd days. I have a feeling they'd be pretty impressed!

Here are some pics from the parade in San Lucas and in my pueblo of Osicala. It was fun to celebrate the 193 years of independence with my Salvadoran friends and family!

The band at San Lucas. My school doesn't have a band, so we went to watch the school over. A large percent of my community (of people who can afford it) sends their kids to this school because it has extra classes like computers and physical education. And band!

I think it's a little funny that my relatively conservative culture still permits baton twirlers in short skirts and high heeled boots. Unfortunately I forgot to take a pic of the twirlers in the pueblo. It was scandalous!  

The reina of the parade. Aysel wants that crown! 

The reina stole my umbrella. I really didn't want to walk in the hot sun, but who's gonna say no to the queen!?

My friend's daughter dressed as a nurse. They dress kids up in respectable professions to walk at the front of the parade. 

The kids in the pueblo.

My friend Erik playing in the high school band. They were good! 

No comments: